Mobile / Classic

Home > Wines prices > Petrus 1970


Petrus 1970

iDealwine’s Price : Vintage: Format:
iDealwine’s price
< >
Etiquette Petrus 1970

Information on Petrus ** :
Despite being unclassified, like all of Pomerol's properties, Petrus is the most famous and the most prestigious of all of its wines. The legend of Petrus began at the end of the 19th century. The Arnaud family owned the vineyard and Petrus was already enjoying a reputation that was only ever going to get better. From 1925, Edmonde Loubat gradually bought shares in the Arnaud's company, the Société Civile du Château Petrus. She became the sole proprietor in 1945. Dynamic and aware of the exceptional potential of this ¿little¿ vineyard (then about 6.5 ha, it has since grown to 11.5 after the purchase of a plot from Château Gazin), she find the ideal partner in 1947 in the form of Jean-Pierre Moueix, a wine merchant in Libourne originally from Corrèze in central France.

Together they made a very talented team and raised the property to extraordinary heights from the beginning of the 1950s. Well-known in France, but essentially with a world-class reputation, Petrus was served at Elizabeth II's engagement party. In the 1960s, President Kennedy displayed a particular fondness for Petrus, indirectly contributing to its popularity in the United States.

Petrus' terroir, located at the appellation's highest point (40 metres), benefits from an excellent position. The soil is mainly clay, and so is particularly favourable for Merlot, which accounts for 96% of the vines. The remaining 4% are Cabernet Franc, very little of which is actually used in the grand vin. The harvests are manual and the wines are aged for an average of 20 months (in 100% new barrels).
Petrus' low acidity makes it a soft, mellow wine, which, combined with the voluptuous character of the Merlot, enables the production of a wine with incredible concentration. It is quite simply majestic, presenting unequalled power and richness; some vintages have aged for more than fifty years.

Best vintages for Petrus :
2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2000, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979, 1976, 1975, 1973, 1971, 1970, 1967, 1966, 1964, 1962, 1961, 1959, 1950, 1949, 1947, 1945, 1929, 1921, 1900

* Information published above indicates current wine characteristics.
It is not specific to the vintage.
** Attention, this text is protected by copyright. It is forbidden to copy any of it without authorization from the author.

Back to top ↑
Buy Petrus 1970 :

See all Petrus lots available for purchase (all vintages)

Description du lot Acheter Millésime Mise à prix (EUR) Prix actuel du lot (EUR) Clôture
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 1980 800 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 1993 1150 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 1993 1000 0
2 Bouteilles Petrus ACHETER 1996 2400 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 1997 1100 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 2000 2800 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 2006 3800 0
1 Bouteille Petrus ACHETER 2006 3800 0

Back to top ↑

Sell Petrus 1970
With iDealwine, get world wide visibility when selling Petrus 1970.

iDealwine’s assets for the sale of: Petrus 1970

  • 300 000 wine connoisseurs from all over the world
  • Worldwide customers ( Europe, Asia )
  • A global service offer: appraisal, storage, insurance
  • Guaranteed payment
Learn more about wine sales with iDealwine
Back to top ↑ Back to top ↑
Rating: 95/100

Tasting suggestions for Petrus 1970

Tasting Notes (extracts):
Vêtu de grenat foncé nuancé de rouille, ce vin s'est développé de belle manière. L'ensemble puissant et massif, corsé et richement extrait, doté d'un caractère tout à la fois confituré, épais et onctueux. Véritablement renversant, avec ses amples senteurs d'épices, de tabac, de cerise noire et de moka, il est encore capable d'une garde 20 ans, bien qu'il soit déjà à maturité. (...) Source: Robert Parker (6/96)

Best drinking period: A boire jusqu'en 2025

Serving T°: 16°C

Petrus 1970 ratings

  • Robert Parker's logoRobert Parker: 98/100
  • wine spectator's logoWine Spectator: 89/100

Quality of 1970 vintage
Learn more about the 1970 Bordeaux vintage

Back to top ↑

Food & Wine Pairing Petrus 1970

Back to top ↑ Back to top ↑

People who have looked for Petrus 1970, have also looked for:

Document sans nom
Etiquette Commanderie
Etiquette Croix Saint-Georges
Croix Saint-Georges
Etiquette Croix de Gay
Croix de Gay
Etiquette Croix du Casse
Croix du Casse
Back to top ↑