Located on a low plateau, the vineyard in AOC Saint-Julien adjoins the commune of Cussac. Most of the plots have soil similar to Latour, consisting of coarse gravel with the drainage enhanced by numerous channels. The chateau was built in 1565 by Bishop Francois de Foix-Candale. His niece, who inherited it, married Jean Louis de Nogaret de la Valette, first duke of Epernon, grand admiral of France and governor of Guyenne, close to King Henri III. The power and fame of the Duke were such that the boats which passed in front of the domain had to lower the sails in sign of allegiance, hence the name Beychevelle (meaning baisse la voile, or lower the sails in the local dialect). A new chateau was built in the middle of the 18th century by the Marquis de Brassier, Baron de Beychevelle. The property was classified fourth growth in 1855. Several owners succeeded one another until today: the Japanese Suntory and the Castel group are now co-shareholders of GMF (Grands millésimes de France), which possesses among other things the Chateau Beychevelle. The vineyard extends over 90 hectares within an area of 250 hectares and the grape variety is composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. It is managed through responsible farming. Château Beychevelle has become one of the best names from the Médoc region.
About the cuvée
L’Amiral is the second wine of Château Beychevelle, from the young vines of the estate, same care is given to these vines the same finesse as the first wine of the domain is enjoyable. However, this second wine can be appreciated much earlier, on the freshness of the fruit, even if it can also be kept for ten years. It is characterized by its beautiful aromas of red fruits and its elegant, fresh and silky mouth.
The information published presents current information on the wine concerned and is not specific to a certain vintage. This text is protected by copyright and it is forbidden to copy without prior written consent from the author.