Maison Chapoutier is without doubt one of the most prestigious names in the Rhône producing some of the finest Hermitage. The domain converted its 350 hectares of vines to biodynamic viticulture, making it the largest vineyard to adopt this method of cultivation. It has held certification since 1999. The Chapoutier savoir faire has spread to other vineyards in other winemaking regions: Provence, Beaujolais, Roussillon, Champagne, Alsace, Portugal but also Australia. In 1879, Polydor Chapoutier bought a few hectares of vines and started a negociant business. Seven generations have succeeded him, and Michel Chapoutier is currently at the helm. Since 1996, all the labels have been transcribed in braille. Chapoutier is often one of the last to harvest to ensure that grapes reach optimal maturity.
About the cuvée
Bécasses’ soil is formed of shale on the south and south-east hillsides, which gives the Syrah real strength, while expressing elegant floral notes. Harvesting is manual, the grapes are vinified in concrete vats and daily punch-down is done to extract the tannins as well as a good colour. The ageing process lasts from 14 to 16 months, 80% in oak barrels. The remaining 20% is aged in stainless steel vats to maintain the Syrah’s fruity nature. When drinking, the Côte-Rôtie Les Bécasses exudes an aroma of raspberry and violet with spicy notes. Flavoursome and deep on the palate, the finish is both woody and spicy.
The information published presents current information on the wine concerned and is not specific to a certain vintage. This text is protected by copyright and it is forbidden to copy without prior written consent from the author.