The La Mission Haut-Brion domaine can trace its origins back to the 16th century. The de Lestonnac family owned the domaine until the death of Olive de Lestonnac in 1664. The property was then bequeathed to the missionary community of the Lazarist monks, an order founded by St Vincent de Paul. It was seized during the French Revolution and sold at auction in 1792, passing through a number of hands until it was bought in 1919 by Frédéric Otto Woltner. This renowned wine merchant introduced ground-breaking processes for the era, such as glass-lined steel fermentation vats. When his descendants sold the property in 1983, it was immediately bought by the Dillon family, who had owned Château Haut-Brion since 1935. The two crus are produced by terroirs with different characteristics and have retained their distinctive personalities. The power of La Mission is often contrasted with the subtlety of Haut-Brion. For more information , visit the official website: www.mission-haut-brion.com
About the cuvée
Château La Mission Haut-Brion's second wine is named after a chapel that was built in the 17th century, when it was owned by Lazarist monks. Consecrated in 1698, the chapel still exists today. Note that the wine produced from plots that were formerly attached to Château Tour Haut-Brion has been incorporated into Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion since the 2006 vintage. There are therefore no bottles with the Tour Haut-Brion label after this date. The wine is aged in French oak barrels (25% new each year) for between 18 and 22 months. A particularly attractive lighter version of La Mission Haut Brion.
The information published presents current information on the wine concerned and is not specific to a certain vintage. This text is protected by copyright and it is forbidden to copy without prior written consent from the author.