aaaa318
7777777
Château d'Arsac

Château d'Arsac

Domain: Château d'Arsac

The Château d'Arsac is one of the oldest domains of the Medoc. The history of the Hundred Years' War reports that the Lords of Arsac allied themselves with the King of England. Land of history, this chateau sees the union of Jacquette and Marguerite d'Arsac with respectively Etienne de la Boétie and Thomas de Montaigne, the friend and the brother of Michel de Montaigne. Original destroyed during the revolution, the building was completely rebuilt in 1830. At the end of the 19th century, Arsac was the largest vineyard in the Médoc, but the phylloxera crisis was responsible for its decline. During the delimitation of the Margaux appellation area in 1954, Arsac was the only area that could not claim this appellation, because there was no production at the time (the vines had been torn off a few years earlier). In 1986 Philippe Raoux, the heir of four generations of winegrowers and merchants, now owner of four chateaux undertakes the renovation of the Château d'Arsac, in a disastrous state, the vines torn off or in very poor condition. After hard and passionate work, the chateau obtains the Margaux appellation. The vineyard of Arsac is made of 112 hectares, of which 54 belong to the Margaux appelation, on which is produced Château d'Arsac. The other part of the vineyard is classified in the Haut-Médoc appellation, and produces two wines of good quality. A Cru Bourgeois named the Monteil d'Arsac which is the second wine of the château, and a third wine, the Ruban Bleu d'Arsac in Haut-Médoc appellation.

Read more...

Château d'Arsac: All wines from this producer

Château d'Arsac: All wines from this producer

Arsac
More information about Château d'Arsac