Located on the northern slopes of the Alpilles, between Avignon and Arles, near St Rémy de Provence, Trévallon was acquired by René Dürrbach in 1955, the current owner's father. A painter and sculptor and friend of Picasso, Léger and Gleizes, he wanted to get away from the bustle of the Côte d'Azur and withdraw to a more peaceful environment. In 1973, at the age of 23, his son Eloi Dürrbach, who was studying architecture in Paris at the time, decided to come and live in the "mas" (a Provençal farm) at Trévallon, and to create a vineyard by dynamiting some of the hills surrounding the property. The first vines were planted in the winter of 1973 on an extraordinary site that combines garrigues with limestone rock. The vineyard consists of small plots that lie within a two kilometre radius of the winery. The vines are grown using natural, traditional methods, with no fertilizers or chemical weed control.
The vineyard consists of small plots that lie within a two kilometre radius of the winery. The vines are grown using natural, traditional methods, with no fertilizers or chemical weed control. For the red wines, Elöi Dürrbach chose an equal quantity of Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. A decision that resulted in the INAO (the official body that oversees AOC regulations) refusing to approve his wine as AOC Baux de Provence when the appellation was created in 1993. The reason given was that Cabernet Sauvignon was over-represented in the blend. However, it is this that gives the wine its special character: on the Alpilles terroir it brings spicy notes with aromas of cinnamon and pepper. The Syrah gives the wine richness and a silky, seductive character. Previously classified under Coteaux d'Aix, Trévallon's wines have been labelled as Vin de Pays des Bouches du Rhône since 1996.