The Philipponnat house goes back to the 16th century, when Avril Philipponnat was gifted land in Aÿ for having fought in François 1er’s army during the battle of Marignan (1515). The house developed over the years, and the champagnes were frequently seen on the tables of princes and kings, for example Louis XIV. Philipponnat as it stands now was founded in Mareuil-sur-Aÿ in 1910. The vineyard now spans 21 hectares in Aÿ, Avenay-Val-d'Or, Mareuil-sur-Aÿ and Mutigny, and the house also buys in grapes from discerning winemakers.
About the cuvée
Clos des Goisses was bought in 1935 by the house. The 5.5-hectare plot is south facing, surrounded by walls and the vines are planted on a slope of 45°. The cuvée is made with a majority of Pinot Noir, completed with some Chardonnay (30%) and is vinified partly in oak (75%), without malolactic fermentation. It ages for 10 years in the house’s cellars. This champagne delivers flavours of lemon, bergamot, pastry (brioche, almond). On the palate, it is at once fresh and vinous.
The information published presents current information on the wine concerned and is not specific to a certain vintage. This text is protected by copyright and it is forbidden to copy without prior written consent from the author.