The name Romanée-Conti is enough to make all wine lovers worldwide tremble in awe. In 1760, Prince Louis-Francois de Bourbon-Conti bought a piece of land in Vosne-Romanée, planted by the predecessors of Saint-Vivant, before dying in 1776. It was confiscated during the Revolution and sold to the highest bidder in 1794. Then the 1.8 hectare plot was renamed Romanée-Conti and its name was given to the most prestigious domaines of Burgundy. In 1879, Jacques-Marie Duvault Blochet bought this property and it is Henry-Frédéric Roch, Lalou Bize-Leroy and its director, Aubert de Villaine who own it today. Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (DRC) has 25 hectares of vines in Vosne, mainly in the grand crus of the commune: La Tâche, Romanée-Saint-Vivant, Richebourg, Echezeaux, Grands-Echézeaux and of course La Romanée-Conti. In the Côte de Beaune, the domaine has recently acquired three farms in Corton, in addition to its legendary Montrachet and Bâtard-Montrachet vines (small, non-marketed production). Although La Romanée-Conti is at the heart of the domaine, the domaine's other grand crus are irreproachable due to the work carried out both in the vineyard (biodynamic) and in the winery (where whole grape harvests are vinified). The yields are extremely low and some wines such as Montrachet are not dated yearly as the quantities are too low (this was the case in 1992 and 2016). Its price clearly confirms its greatness.
About the cuvée
Following the example of numerous Burgundy domains, La Tâche was originally a monastic domain. It was then owned by two different families, one of which was the Joly de Bévy who was dispossessed during the Revolution. Owned by Basire, then Liger-Belair, the La Tâche vineyards were added to the Domaine de La Romanée Conti in 1933. Well-looked after vines, strictly controlled yields and as late as possible harvest produce an aromatic and opulent wine. Deeply coloured, La Tâche develops a palette of extraordinary aromas of dark fruits, truffle and spices. Rich and concentrated, its bouquet releases infinite tones that melt on the palate to form a lovely fine ensemble. Always exceptional, even in difficult vintages. Hence in 1950 and 1951, it was the only wine on the domain that was bottled.
The information published presents current information on the wine concerned and is not specific to a certain vintage. This text is protected by copyright and it is forbidden to copy without prior written consent from the author.